Today is my last day being 45. Tomorrow I turn 46, certainly not a milestone by anyone’s standards, but nonetheless pushing closer and closer to that very big milestone–50. I can’t say I’ll be sorry to see this year go…it’s been a real mixed bag. The arguable success of my nonprofit board service versus the shocking and sad death of a wonderful friend is a good example of the good and the bad, all jumbled up.
Unlike most people, I don’t make my New Year’s Resolutions on New Year’s Eve or Day–I make them on my birthday, which is my New Year. This year, I thought about resolving one thing for each year I’ve lived but, let’s face it, I’ve lived way too long for that now…too hard to keep up with and follow through on that many different ones. So, I think I’ll stick with 10 realistic goals…and here they are…
- Set aside at least one hour every day to read a book–no excuses.
- Learn all the basic jewelry making techniques…crimping, wrapping, etc.
- Take up the treadmill again, 3 times a week. That “But now I walk my dog.” excuse is so not cutting it…
- Read one Robert Frost poem a day from the complete works volume gathering dust on my bookshelf.
- Teach my son his basic math skills…and actually learn them myself this time. Oops! Did I say that out loud?
- Finish my final master’s degree…only 3 classes to go!
- Listen to more music.
- Learn Robert’s Rules of Order once and for all. I’ve had the book for years but I mean really–who cracks it open unless they have to?
- Spend less time on Facebook…Damned addictive, that site is!
- Worry 50% less, Smile 50% more…Yes, I have found that it is true…when you frown a lot, your face eventually does stick that way!
Well now, those ought to keep me suitably busy for the next 365 days…Happy Birthday to Me!